However, we should always remember that online virus scan differs a lot from any desktop version of the product. It certainly has its advantages, but there are negative points as well. Pros and cons of online scanning services are listed below.
So, what can we consider to be strong points of just about every online antivirus?
1. They are all free.
2. Whenever you initiate such scanner you may rest assured it will be using the latest database of virus threats compiled by the security labs of the vendor.
3. Wide choice of virus scanners. While you often can’t install two or more different antivirus solutions on a Windows desktop, when it comes to online scan you may choose the one you like – no limits here. So you may switch between several scanners whenever you need to.
4. Sometimes it happens that the installed anti-virus software is corrupted by malware, so you can’t use the stand-alone product. You can’t reinstall or repair it because smart virus makers foresee such actions on your part and corrupt Windows installation routine as well. In such case online virus scan often is not just the easiest, but the only escape you are left with.
5. No additional files are put into Windows registry and system folders, so the system configuration is not changed.
6. Online scan is a good way to test the security of the PC and verify its protection.
But there are serious drawbacks typical for online scanners, and you should be aware of them.
1. Of course everything starts with a stable Internet connection. Without it you can’t use online services.
2. Proactive defense is a feature of stand-alone PC security products only. Online virus scan cannot serve as a security shield. It simply finds the threats and removes them, if possible. When the scan has been finished, there’s no guarantee your PC won’t get infected the next minute.
3. Sometimes a virus living inside the PC can prevent the online scanner from downloading its database files onto hard drive.
4. The types of malware detected by online scan are usually much less than those found by stand-alone full-features antivirus product.
5. Most online scanners require Internet Explorer with ActiveX enabled.
All that said, I highly recommend to use some online scanner from time to time, just to be on the safe side. It can complement the installed antivirus solution, and test the security shield. It’s free, after all.
You can search about anything on the internet but be careful while using the internet because a virus is the biggest threat in using the internet. A virus is a type of software that may be copied and installed to your computer while you are surfing websites. Virus programs are self installing programs and do not need your permission to install. Once a virus is installed to your PC, you cannot remove it manually. You either need to use a best free online virus scan and removal program or format your hard drive because if a virus is left in a single location then it has the capability to spread throughout your PC.
These programs are designed and developed to cause destruction. A virus may also cause errors or constant crashes. a virus can slow down your computer and make your computer unstable.